Excellent

I had a really cool experience today with my Geometry class. My students were supposed to take their test today for surface area and volume of solids. The year is rapidly winding down, and I definitely do not have time to teach another unit. The problem is, I definitely have two or three days where I should be doing “something” before we start the review for the final exam. I really didn’t want to do lame filler work or some sort of pseudo-interesting (to me…) activity.

They were really caught off guard when they came to class, expecting a
test, and I said, “Change of plans! Grab a computer!” You have to
realize that, until this point, I have never used computers in this
class.

I am not totally sure where the idea came from to do a lesson using Excel.  Maybe here.  (Check it out…it’s totally awesome.)

Back?

Ok, don’t worry, I didn’t bust out the mullet wig (You shoulda read the link…). But Mr. V did casually mention using Excel during the lesson to run some numbers, and I guess it stuck with me.

Anyway, the grand idea was for the students to learn how to build formulas into a spreadsheet that can solve all of the problems on the test by simply entering the given data. Also handy, they could use the review guide that they already completed as the sample problems

Long story short, the lesson was great. They were totally into it. Exclamations such as “Awesome” and “Wow, that’s really useful” were heard repeatedly. Most of them had never been taught anything more than the most basic functionality of Excel (sum, sort, etc.), which was completely shocking to me, by the way.  I mean, they have had computer classes for at least three years now.  Another example of the danger in assuming that someone, somewhere is actually steering the ship.

But I digress. The lesson was great. The students were engaged. I felt like a rock star. And they learned something that they immediately and instinctively recognized would useful beyond the 40 minutes of class time.

Of course, we didn’t get through it all. One day was barely enough time to model and troubleshoot. Monday during class they will work together to finish building and testing their spreadsheets.

Ultimately, it will probably take them 5-10 minutes to complete their test, and I will be surprised if the don’t all get 100%. Who cares? How often do you really have to calculate the surface area of a hexagonal prism anyway?